I’ve had the opportunity recently to begin teaching a Sunday School class at Faith Baptist Church in Cheboygan, MI. The subject has been the “Names of God”. I am enjoying the study, learning much myself. These pages are my basic outlines from the class for those who have been in the class and missed one or two sessions, or for those who are just stumbling across my blog and are interested. Feel free to read, comment and share what you think is appropriate. Comments are moderated.
I have used the following books and studies, among others, as resources in my preparation. If you’re interested in purchasing one of the books, click on the Amazon.com box on the side for more information. (Warning: If you actually click on one of these links in the amazon.com widget in the border and complete your purchase, I may get a very small commission from the sale. The possibility of that commission in no way affected my use of the book in preparations.)
- “Praying the Names of God” by Ann Spangler
- “All the Divine Names and Titles in the Bible” by Herbert Lockyer
- “Names of God” by Nathan Stone
- “Genesis: An Expositional Commentary” Volumes 1 & 2 by James Montgomery Boice
- Notes from a Bible study at Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary of Cornerstone University in the fall of 2000 by Robert W. Nienhuis, Ph.D.
Here’s a list of what we’ve done so far, and where we hope to go with this study by week.
- Introduction – What’s in a name?
- All Powerful, Creator: Elohim
- God Most High: El-Elyon
- God All Sufficient: El-Shaddai
- The God Who Sees Me: El-Roi
- Eternal God, Living God: El-Olam and El-Chay
- I AM: YHWH/Yahweh/Jehovah (long-winded teacher)
- The LORD Will Provide: Jehovah-Jireh
- The LORD Who Heals: Jehovah-Raphah
- The LORD is My Banner: Jehovah-Nissi
- The LORD Who Sanctifies: Jehovah M’Kaddesh
- The LORD is Peace: Jehovah-Shalom
- The LORD of Hosts: Jehovah-Sabaoth
- The LORD Our Righteousness: Jehovah-Tsidkenu
- The Lord: Adonai
- ABBA Father
Stay tuned! Future weeks are subject to change.